In this article, we will go over:
1. What is the Short URL?
2. Requirements to Create a Short URL
3. How to Implement a Custom Short URL
What is the Short URL?
When using PostBeyond to share content to your social network, you may see "share.postbeyond.com" as the link within the snippet.
The short URL allows us to track clickthroughs. It does not affect how the URL is used - but rather it’s just a way of shortening it (same as bit.ly or twitter do).
You can customize this URL by creating a CNAME record in your DNS pointing to share.postbeyond.com and use it as a customized Short URL within PostBeyond.
Requirements to Create a Short URL
Before you get started, you will need to choose a Short URL and to ensure that it has a different domain compared to your company's domain.
For example, if your Company is Top Notch:
The company website might be, www.topnotch.com, which means the domain is 'topnotch.com'
Do not select a custom short URL that contains this domain, rather, select something that is similar and represents the brand, for instance: share.topnotch.social (the domain being 'topnotch.social')
Your company may need to purchase the domain. Please speak with your IT department to complete this process. Domains are relatively inexpensive and can quickly be obtained.
How to Implement a Custom Short URL
- Determine your short URL media.company.com. As mentioned above, make sure it doesn't match your company domain
- In your DNS records, create a CNAME entry for your desired name referencing share.postbeyond.com . For your reference, we have an example of such a record in AWS Route 53. Your DNS management console may differ.
- Go to Route 53
- Select Hosted Zones
- Select the desired Domain Name (e.g. company.com)
- Choose "Create Record Set"
- Fill in the details for a CNAME record as shown below
3. Have your CSM at PostBeyond set your Short URL to the desired address (e.g. media.company.com). Shown below is what the CSM will see in their settings:
At this point, you will see the desired domain indicated in the URL Shortener settings in your PostBeyond Admin view.
Now, when you share a post, the snippet will show the desired Shortened URL.