You can find a detailed explanations of shortened URLs/ CNAMEs in this article. This article will showcase an alternate way of creating custom shortened URLs.
- Determine the name of your custom shortened URL. For the sake of this example, we will use media.company.com
- In your DNS records, create an A record pointing to the server that will perform the URL redirect. For example, we show creating such a record in AWS Route 53 below. Your DNS management console may differ.
Note: This is best completed by someone from your IT team. Please ensure to have someone present and/or available for completing the below process.
- Go to Route 53
- Selected Hosted Zones
- Select the desired Domain Name (e.g. company.com)
- Choose "Create Record Set"
- Fill in the details for the A record as shown below (in the Value field enter your redirect server's ip address)
3. On your server, perform a 301 redirect from your domain e.g. media.company.com/XYZ to share.postbeyond.com/XYZ (in the below example we are using Kinsta to perform the redirect. If you are using Apache as proxy then you will need to modify the :htaccess).
Performing the above step will redirect media.company.com/STRING to share.postbeyond.com/STRING .
Note: If you are using this method, please note that any failures on your server will cause the redirect to fail.